Hi friends! As you may know, I've had quite the dilemma with my blog due to a personal crisis. While I love blogging here, I never felt like I completely gave it my all. For now I am closing my blog and will be a contributor on my good friend Kayla's blog, The Bibliophilic Nerds! She has a wonderful blog and I am honored to be a part of it. I hope you will come visit us! We'd love to see you there because we like hanging out with all book nerds. I will still be on Twitter and Goodreads so I won't be completely gone. Stay bookish my friends, and I hope to see you around!
Friday, January 10, 2014
Published: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Square Fish
Genre: Fairytale/Science Fiction
Rating: 5 out of 5
Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .
Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
WHAT I LIKED!
- This book gave me ALL THE FEELS!!! Not just because of Prince Kai, but because the whole story captivated me to my core. Marissa Meyer has such wonderful writing that captures every detail of the book making you want so much more of the story.
- I enjoyed reading about a different version of Cinder. She is not the perfect, beautiful woman that the fairytale portrays her to be. Cinder is part cyborg with missing limbs and is a mechanic for a living. I liked that she was not some delicate flower who could be taken for granted. She was sarcastic, funny, and could hold her own for the most part.
- I absolutely loved Iko, Cinder's sidekick robot friend! She was hilarious for being a cyborg and always tried to make the best out of anything. It was really funny when she fantasized about putting on pretty dresses, plus she had the cutest crush on Prince Kai.
- The romance between Cinder and Kai was perfect. There was no insta-love! The relationship was gradual and the flirting was cute. I also liked the fact that the romance did not overbear the storyline. I really hope that Kai finds out the truth about Cinder and forgives her!!
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE
- I positively HATE Pearl, Adri, and Queen Lavana!!! They were such hateful and hurtful people. I really hope what's getting to them! LOL. I know it's part of the story to have villains, but I can still hate them.
- There was not much action in this story, but that's okay for me. I still enjoyed the book when at times it got a little slow.
The bottom line with Cinder was that it was an excellent introduction to a fantastic series! I cannot wait to continue the series. I hear Scarlet and Cress are even better so I'm really excited about that. I would highly recommend this series if you like to read fairytale retellings with some science fiction in the mix. This book has some crazy twists and turns, beautiful world building, and I cannot wait to see what else Marissa has up her sleeve!
Wednesday, January 8, 2014